Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Sickness and Life

I got sick two weekends in a row. I thought it was a flu the first weekend. You know, feverish, cough and colds. But I also had diarrhea to go with it. It was a bit weird but Bob said diarrhea is a natural companion of flu. Good thing June 11, a Monday was a holiday so I didn't have to go on sick leave. The next day, I still had to go on leave just to make sure I don't force myself and get worse in the process.

The weekend that followed, me and Dina, my officemate, had booktable at their Tahanan Village parish. We sold books by Bo and our magazines. By the time I went home, I was beat. The next day I forced myself to office though I was feeling really tired. I got worse the next few hours in the office, coupled again with diarrhea which started the night before. I decided to go on a half-day leave. The next day, I heeded my officemates suggestion and had myself checked. The doctor said I had to go through tests since he doesn't know also why I'm feeling as I do. Until now, I still don't know my condition since I haven't talked to the doctor though the assistant said my test results were all normal.

Anyways, getting sick helped me to realize that there are more important things in life than work even if it takes up most of our waking hours. I love my work, mind you. I love researching about articles to write for New You and Real Stuff in Kerygma, articles on health, beauty, the Church and finance. I love interviewing a person and writing how God worked in his or her life. I love researching and writing for Fish Magazine on the Bigfish section stories about saints, tidbits about the Church and our faith or answering questions about the same. I love managing Mustard, our kids magazine. I love my job, in short. Still, life is not my job. Life is bigger and I realized, more eternal, even as it may seem fleeting at times, ran over by daily concerns and minute details.

So I'm back in work now but with a different perspective. I will always have deadlines. I will always love to be pressured, at the same time. But I won't let them get in the way of living now. Hopefully. :)

3 comments:

Greybeard said...

Joyful-
I tried leaving you an email at the given address, and for some reason cannot do it, so I'm reduced to "emailing" you here.
Thanks for stopping by my site and leaving your comment! My weight loss program has now become a weight maintenance program until I get a good feel for my health and appearance at this weight, then I may try to drop a few more pounds.

I hope you are happy with your health and weight. This post indicates you were reminded that a person's health is SO important...
for yourself, for others that depend on you, and for others that may be exposed to whatever infectious bug you might have to spread around. Good for you for staying home, then attending to it! I hope by now you've recovered completely.

Be safe and well.

Ivy said...

Hey, Ate! I know what you mean about how work can overtake a person. But to be honest, it's really hard not to let it overtake you especially over here, because everything evolves around work. And if life doesn't evolve around work, then I find many people scrambling and feeling lost, thinking, 'well what else is there really?' Yes, it is sad. But unfortunately, it is the reality of it over here, and a lot of times even things like your love life is placed all the way in the back of the closet. *sigh*

I can understand though why you would almost let work overtake you. I mean, you're doing what you love! So I cannot blame you. But yeah, it's always healthy to think of something else other than work. haha.

Oh and by the way, hope you're feeling better. If all the results came out normal, then I'm sure it was just the cold or flu. ;)

Joyce Sosoban said...

Hi, Ivy! Well, I am fine. All my results were normal. Jojo said I must just have been feeling pressured or something. It's really a busy time at the moment. The whole of next week, we're expected to be doing overtime everyday. Of course, compared to your life there, this must be just okay. Still, it's unhealthy in the long term. So I try to pace myself (and you should too :).