Monday, May 21, 2007

The Word

It is easy to say "I will give the benefit of the doubt," but when push comes to shove, that can be very difficult especially when you really feel you are right and the other is wrong. The operative word here is feel. It doesn't mean that just because you feel it that you're necessarily right. It doesn't mean that I feel I'm right that I'm actually really right.

I had to learn that there is an objective right, whatever I may feel. This is where the Word is so important. And the Word will not have any power unless the mind agrees with it. "Do not conform yourself to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect" (Romans 12:2). When I went through a conversion experience, I became very hungry for the Word. I loved to read the Word. Slowly, I got to see how differently the Lord sees things compared to the world. Nowadays, the Word is my most important disciplinarian. The Lord uses It to speak and to convict me. Sometimes through the Bible when I read it, or through the Mass when I hear the Word spoken, or when the priest gives a sermon. Today, it was through the priest when I made my confession. When I shared something about injustice in my life, he said that there will always be injustice. Then he said that when I meet injustice, I should offer it to the Lord so that I may be sanctified by it. I needed to hear that reminder.

I try to read the Word daily. But don't think that It is always a high point. Many times, I don't feel anything. But I try to keep at it. I know that it gives me strength and guidance. It is not only a disciplinarian to me. It is also a most comforting source of strength and encouragement, a source of light like no other. Words are not enough to say how important the Word is to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.