Monday, August 14, 2006

A Place In Between

For a long time, this has been my public private spot on the internet. I could write here and it didn't really matter if anyone reads what I write. My life has turned a new direction once again that I thought of writing here so I need not write individually to my friends and family to update them on what's happening to me. It helps that blogging has a space for comment or reaction so you're welcome to do so.

Right now, I'm in an in-between place. For a long time, Cebu was called my home and not a place to pass by for me. But now, it's a jump off point to another place I shall be calling home for only God knows how long, Mindoro. My favorite Christian singer Steven Curtis Chapman was right in calling life's journey "a roller coaster ride." Man, it does seem like that at times, now especially. I would never have thought I'll be settling in Mindoro for an indefinite period. I was looking forward to going to Mindoro for a vacation, hopefully this coming December when Papa Domy said their family have a noisy and colorful Christmas, what with themed Christmas parties and apos galore. It's not so bad I guess. As Papa Domy said, the wide beach front, internet connection and a free place is waiting for me. What could I ask for? In some other instance, I would have said, nothing.

In any case, philosophically thinking about it, I look at it this way: maybe the Lord is allowing me to see a glimpse into a pilgrim's life -- which we all are, in the end. We pass by this earth for a mere 60 to 70 years, longer if you can beat the statistics. But our stay is never permanent. And perhaps through this event, the Lord wants to engrain into me my visitor status. I've always liked being able to leave at a moment's notice. That's one of the reasons why I don't like to own keys. To me, it signified permanence. I had no problem relinquishing my two sets of keys to two houses in Bohol. But now, I do miss my place in Tagbilaran. When I go home, the most immediate thing I do is check my email. Even if I was only using a dial-up, I realize how a dial-up is so convenient compared to going to an internet shop (like what I'm doing now) and being charged P30 per hour. It's the noise of the child beside me playing this violent game that's really bothering me. Oh okay, yeah maybe, I'm a bit on an internet withdrawal symptom too, I guess. Added to that the fact that I couldn't access a website I needed for a deadline I need to meet. The frustrations of the electronic age.

Tomorrow, I'll be leaving for Manila and the next day, God willing, to Mindoro. I thank God there is such a thing as the internet. I realized that there are so many people who love me and care for me through what's happening at the moment. This spot is my little place of connection. Hopefully, it will be. And the friendships and love that I have experienced (and hopefully, even in a small way, given) will continue in the midst of distance.

No comments: