Friday, August 18, 2006

Peter Pan and Childlikeness

I hope I never grow too old. Sounds like Peter Pan has a relative here but there must be a truism on why Peter Pan can fly and his not wanting to grow up. Many people seem to equate being mature with being grounded on reality that it's no wonder people cannot fly. You look at faces in crowds and you know they are so much into reality -- along with the furrowed look and the scowl. If that's what I get for being mature, I hope I don't get too mature that I forget to fly -- metaphorically speaking.

These thoughts come to me because I like to play with kids (make faces, accomodate, talk to them, etc) and of late, I'm surrounded by so many of them. I have so many young nieces and nephews in the compound I live in now. There's Jana, Yacky, Aye, Carlo, CK, EJ, Rain, etc... and then there's Jana again. They like to visit me because I have a computer. Games of course! Then there's the cable TV which I allow them to control when they're there. And, of course, I bribe them by having candy and other foods inside. Certainly, it's not always easy to accomodate them. I have lived mostly alone this past year. I'd go into my place in Tagbilaran and I switch on my computer and check my email. I watch TV and laugh aloud alone. I'd cook and eat alone. Now, though I'm still alone in the bachelor's pad my cousin Honey has allowed me to use, within a few minutes, a little voice will tentatively knock and ask, "Tita Joy, can we come in?" I know it's better if I just say "No, I'm making my report," which was what I was doing this afternoon. But sometimes I think about myself in their place. What if I say, "Lord, can I come in?" And He says, "No, come back after I've finished dealing with the world's problems." So I try to accomodate them by letting them come in and play around, though I had to forbid the use of TV coz it was too loud and I couldn't concentrate. Besides which, I think that perhaps in the long run, this will all be even more productive for me. The Lord will kindly make me more focused in the midst of the noise and I'll be able to do my work. Perhaps if I'm just alone I'd get so sleepy and won't be able to accomplish anything at all. I remember the Lord's word, "Let the children come to me and do not hinder them." He certainly has weightier matters to attend to so I guess I can also make room for them. Besides which, as I happily tell Papa Domy, the good thing about these kids are they are not mine. If I really get fed up with them, I can just return them to their families. It's a good thing the Lord doesn't return me to whoever when I'm being such a bother. Now that would be a real problem.

No comments: