Friday, January 20, 2006

My Beloved Philippines

I read about an interesting site from my Google Peyups Samahan and checked the link. Coconuter's blog site is refreshing mainly because, for all the bad rep the Philippines continues to receive, this guy wants to return here from the US and live in a place where others have been falling all over themselves to leave. I think I love the guy. I wish there were more Filipinos like him. I know, I know. All those doctors who have become nurses will tell me, "You don't understand. Good for you to say because you're not in my situation. We must live, too. You cannot live on ideals alone." I understand. My brother, after all is there in the US and he provides us with all sorts of financial support. Actually, he provides so many families with financial help because he's there. Still, a part of me continues to hold on to that idealistic and nationalistic person who graduated high school and college with a firm commitment to stay in the Philippines and help it out in my little way. I have some very strong emotions about certain things. My love for this country is one of them. It leaves me with a pain in my stomach and a catch in my throat. It's that real.

I don't hate those who go out of the Philippines. I just believe we make some choices and I have made my choice. Perhaps, in actual fact, my contribution to this country doesn't even make a blip in the horizon. That doesn't matter. I still love this country and, God willing, will give the best of myself for the good of this country.

In case you want to check out the coconuter's site, here's the link: http://coconuter.blogspot.com/

No comments: