Monday, September 11, 2006

Proofreading

What's wrong with these two sentences?

"Sharon Cuneta. Nora Aunor. Vilma Santos. Maricel Soprano."
"Mr. He Xieng answered. But Mr. He was rebuffed by the police."
Nothing's wrong with the second; the first one's obvious.
Nowadays, these are the "dilemmas" that I face. I've been working for almost two weeks now at Shepherd's Voice Publication as proofreader. I've been writing for them on a freelance basis as scriptwriter for Gabay sa Biblia sa Radyo (which airs on Radyo Veritas), as well as for Fish Magazine, a youth magazine. I also contribute for Kerygma. But when I was in Mindoro, Rissa, my editor asked for help coz she has been sleeping at 4am for several days already. They are rushing Didache, Gabay, Sabbath and Companion 2007 sets, not to mention the monthly Kerygma and Fish magazines. And books in the offing too. So Rissa asked if I can work for at least a month with them. Since I need the money and I like helping out (not to mention that it is service to the Lord), I agreed. So I've been in Manila for a few weeks now.

I realized how much I've missed working in publishing. It may seem perhaps weird to some people, or downright boring to be looking for mistakes in text the whole day but I like this kind of work. I find it really challenging though my real desire is to be able to copy edit. I like the challenge of crafting a good sentence, of evoking the right image or delivering a statement through a well-crafted piece.

Last week, we were doing overtime everyday. The publications have to come out before October 12 coz there's a show in SM Megamall by then. Man, it was pretty tiring to the eyes! At the end of the day, I was wishing to be able to walk with my eyes closed. But I don't really mind this kind of "tiredness." Don't be surprised then if you read my name on Didache and Gabay on the editorial staffbox for 2007. Also on Fish magazine for October. I was surprised when Rissa put in my name there but well, what can I do? I didn't expect it but I'm not the editor. Besides, that's one of the perks of the publishing world. To see your name written on the printed page. The really good thing about it for me is, you're still anonymous coz they don't know how you look.

I think I really like this kind of work coz I've been really thanking the Lord quite a lot for several days now. Thank You, Jesus!

No comments: